Friday, July 28, 2017

Bump in the Road

This past week, we encountered our first bump in the road.  Thankfully, it didn't involve breathing issues or epi-pens and because of that, it didn't feel like a major setback.  
It started a few days after Tucker's first appointment.  I noticed he was having diarrhea, often 4 times a day.  I was keeping Dr. Silver in the loop and we were making sure to keep Tucker hydrated.  We were hoping his body would adjust to the dairy dosing and settle down on it's own.  Then one night, I woke up at 4 AM to Tucker calling for me.  He was vomiting in his bed.  It lasted a few hours before Tucker finally fell back to sleep.  When he woke later on, the vomiting had stopped but the diarrhea returned.  We still aren't sure what caused the vomiting.  After speaking with Dr. Silver, we decided to go back down a dose until the stomach issues resolved themselves.  Throughout this entire time, Tucker was in good spirits.  Although I'm sure running to the bathroom every few hours was an inconvenience for him, you would never know.  He happily went about his day and still willingly took his dose every morning.  At the lower dose, the stomach issues stopped.  We kept him at that dose for a couple days until a few days before his next appointment in Cleveland.  We once again tried the higher dose.  I sent a text to Dr. Silver a few hours after the dose, "So far so good.  I will keep you posted."  Famous last words.  Shortly after that text, the diarrhea returned.  Dr. Silver advised once again lowering the dose back down and postponing the appointment while we slowly worked our way back up a dose and the stomach issues subsided.  So that's where we are at today.  We are at a slightly lower dose than a few weeks ago.  I have mixed feelings about this.  While I am disappointed we had to slow down so early in the process, I'm also happy that we are dealing with stomach issues and not breathing issues.  I still feel a sense of success that we are in this process and it's happening right now.  Tucker is consuming dairy everyday.  Yes, it's diluted and yes, it's a small amount, but it's happening.  We are doing this.  So we encountered a bump in the road.  I'm sure the first of many.  But the important thing right now is that we are still ON the road.    

No comments:

Post a Comment