Monday, July 17, 2017

The Best in People

I feel it's important to take a moment to reflect on some of the truly remarkable people Tucker has in his life.  While we tend to talk about the negative experiences of food allergies, there is another side that shows the compassion and kindness of the people in our lives.

Tucker attends a small school where there are only 2 classes at every grade level.  He most likely has been in the same class as almost every student in his grade level.  In addition to me working at the school, we also live in the neighborhood.  We have gotten to know the families at our school very well.  Our standard procedure for school birthdays is for the teacher to send me a list of all the class birthdays for the entire year and then I can send in a safe treat on the day they will be celebrating.  I also have a back up bag of treats that stay in the classroom, just in case.  The first few years of school, this procedure seemed to work well. Last year, when Tucker was in second grade, I had a parent of a student in his class reach out to me.  She told me that her son's birthday was the following week and he really wanted to make a treat that Tucker could have.  While I was touched at the offer, the thought of Tucker eating a homemade snack from someone else's kitchen was terrifying. I immediately started my usual response when someone offers Tucker food. I told her that while it was a thoughtful gesture and I appreciated her offering, I would send in a safe treat for Tucker.   She responded by saying that her son was adamant that Tucker not be singled out in any way and she really wanted to make this happen.  She suggested Rice Krispie Treats and we went through the different ingredients.  I offered to purchase all the items needed but she wouldn't hear of it.  Over the next few days, I received several text messages with pictures of the ingredients she had bought.  The day she made them, she sent me several pictures of the process and the final product.  When I showed Tucker all the pictures and told him he would be able to eat the treat the next day in school, we both started crying.  It was so touching that someone had gone to such great lengths to include him.  The next day before leaving for school, he asked me if I was sure the treats were safe.  I reassured him and showed him the pictures again.  That day after school, Tucker told me the treat was delicious and it was the best day of school he had ever had.  
  That kind and caring gesture was enough to fill my heart to the brim with love and appreciation.  But that wasn't a single occurrence.  A few weeks later, another mother texted me to see what she could buy to send in for a birthday treat that was dairy free and safe for Tucker.  And a few weeks after that, another request for dairy free suggestions.  I could go on and on with stories of all the parents of students in Tucker's class who have reached out to me to make sure he was included.  I even had a mom video tape herself making dairy free cupcakes so that we could see everything she used and feel safe about Tucker eating them!  There aren't adequate enough words to describe how I feel for these parents.  I am beyond touched at their kindness and so grateful.  
  I am also so thankful for our wonderful family and close friends.  They protect him and keep him safe as vigilantly as my husband and I do. My mom is always trying new dairy free recipes and somehow manages to get Tucker to try foods he would never eat for me.  Many of our family and friends know what safe treats Tucker can eat and have them readily available when we go their house.   
  So to all the people who have showed understanding about food allergies in some way, thank you thank you thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I was filled with tears reading this. My son's school doesn't accept homemade treats. They also have been sending out a letter to parents asking them to send non-food items for birthdays a year after my son started school. Still people send candies and sometimes with milk. But I remember and cherish experiences of being considered.

    ReplyDelete